A primary garden space at St. Paul’s School in Brooklandville, Maryland, re-designed to meet present needs and to honor the past. Thorough research on this historic landscape on the north side of Brooklandwood Mansion influenced the decision to remove a thick stand of declining evergreen trees that blocked views towards Brooklandwood from the axial main entrance off of Fall Road.
The evergreen trees were introduced into this historic landscape around the 1910’s, and replaced what used to be an open landscape border defined by deciduous, canopy trees. Canopy trees of historic character were re-introduced around the circle, and a low wall was added to define the space and serve as a sitting wall during small, informal events as well as for graduation and other large events.
This wall sits purposefully unconnected from the historic steps in order to read as a newer landscape introduction, and the same materials are used for this new wall as were used for other free-standing site walls built since St. Paul’s School purchased the historic estate in 1952. Shrubs were added to provide a layer of privacy from the surrounding parking and main driveway.
© 2013 Beechbrook Landscape Architecture